A long-form CV is available as a PDF Version.
Luis Pedro Coelho
Ph.D. in Computational Biology, 2006–2011 Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh.
Dissertation topic: Modeling the Space of Subcellular Location Patterns Using Images and Other Sources of Information, advised by Prof. Robert F. Murphy.
MS in computer science, Instituto Superior Técnico (Technical University Lisbon), 2006
Dissertation topic: Bayesian Network Parameter Estimation Using Noisy Observations or Soft Evidence, advised by Prof. Arlindo Oliveira.
BS in computer science, Instituto Superior Técnico (Technical University Lisbon), 2004. Finished top of my class.
Spent one year at Technical University of Vienna (Austria) as international exchange student.
Currently (since 2013) Postdoctoral researcher at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) with Peer Bork.
2012 Postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Molecular Medicine (IMM), Lisbon, with Musa Mhlanga.
Scholarships & Awards
Portugal's Science and Research Foundation Ph.D. scholarship 2007-2011
- Outstanding Research Accomplishment
Award for Research Excellence in the Joint CMU-University of Pittsburgh Ph.D. Program in Computational Biology (2007).
- Academic Excellency
Diploma of Merit from Instituto Superior Técnico for academic excellency in the academic year 1999/2000. Award for Academy Excellence in the Joint CMU-University of Pittsburgh Ph.D. Program in Computational Biology (2007).
Fulbright Fellowship for Ph.D. Study in the US, 2006/07.
Portugal's Science and Research Foundation research scholarship from December 2004 through July 2006.
Selected Journal Publications
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Joshua D. Kangas, Armaghan Naik, Elvira Osuna-Highley, Estelle Glory-Afshar, Margaret Fuhrman, Ramanuja Simha, Peter B. Berget, Jonathan W. Jarvik, and Robert F. Murphy, Determining the subcellular location of new proteins from microscope images using local features in Bioinformatics, 2013 [DOI] [Video Abstract]
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Tao Peng, and Robert F. Murphy, Quantifying the distribution of probes between subcellular locations using unsupervised pattern unmixing in Bioinformatics, vol. 26(12), pp. i7-i12 [online version]
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Amr Ahmed, Andrew Arnold, Joshua Kangas, Abdul-Saboor Sheikh, Eric P. Xing, William W. Cohen, and Robert F. Murphy, Structured Literature Image Finder: Extracting Information from Text and Images in Biomedical Literature in Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics vol. 6004 [PDF version]
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Aabid Shariff, and Robert F. Murphy; Nuclear segmentation in microscope cell images: A hand-segmented dataset and comparison of algorithms ISBI 2009 [online version]
- Luis Pedro Coelho and Arlindo Oliveira; Dotted Suffix Trees: A Structure for Approximate Text Indexing SPIRE (2006)
- Bilingual: Portuguese and English
- Fluent oral and good written German (attended a German-speaking school, grades 5 through 12; spent a year at the Technical University of Austria).
- Fluent oral and good written French
- Basic knowledge of Spanish and Luxembourgish
Designed and taught a course in computer programming for the sciences (Programming for Scientists). This was a semester-long course taught at Carnegie Mellon University in Spring 2009 (as a student-taught course). In 2012, I taught a shortened version of this at IMM as a two-and-a-half day workshop. I am a certified software carpentry instructor
Teaching Assistant for Decision Support Systems at Technical University of Lisbon (Spring 2005). Co-designed and co-taught a Computer Initiation Course for Adults in a social housing project (pro-bono). Teaching Assistant for Laboratory Methods for Computational Biology at Carnegie Mellon University (Spring 2008).
Local Committee for Portuguese-American Postgraduate Society National Forum
I headed the local organising committee for the 2010 edition of this annual event. It took place in Pittsburgh and included, as speakers, cabinet-level Portuguese government officials, renowned researchers, artists, as well as participants from all around the US.
Producer for IST Theatre Group
I served as the producer for the IST Theatre Group, which is one of the top university theatre groups in Portugal. We participated in several festivals, including international festivals. As producer, my activities included fund-raising and management.