- Luis Pedro Coelho, Tao Peng, and Robert F. Murphy, Quantifying the distribution of probes between subcellular locations using unsupervised pattern unmixing in Bioinformatics, vol. 26(12), pp. i7-i12 [online version]
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Aabid Shariff, and Robert F. Murphy; Nuclear segmentation in microscope cell images: A hand-segmented dataset and comparison of algorithms ISBI 2009 [DOI]
- Determining the distribution of probes between different subcellular locations through automated unmixing of subcellular patterns by Tao Peng, Ghislain M. C. Bonamy, Estelle Glory-Afshar, Daniel R. Rines, Sumit K. Chanda, and Robert F. Murphy [link]
- M. V. Boland, M. K. Markey and R. F. Murphy (1998) Automated Recognition of Patterns Characteristic of Subcellular Structures in Fluorescence Microscopy Images. Cytometry 33: 366-375. [online version]
- Latent Dirichlet Allocation, Blei et al ., JMLR (3), 2003 [online version]
These are both very short. They give a general idea of the field, but you should follow the references.
- Luis Pedro Coelho, Estelle Glory-Afshar, Joshua Kangas, Shannon Quinn, Aabid Shariff, and Robert F. Murphy; Principles of Bioimage Informatics: Focus on machine learning of cell patterns in Lecture Notes in Computer Science [PDF Version].
- Aabid Shariff, Joshua Kangas, Luis Pedro Coelho, Shannon Quinn, and Robert F. Murphy; Automated Image Analysis for High Content Screening and Analysis, Journal Biomolecular Screening (2010) [online version]